A club for everyone

Back to Article
Back to Article

A club for everyone

Zander Alper helps talks through with classmates his redesign of the playground in Marketing Club at Miriam Academy after school. Marketing Club is where students brainstorm projects and learn how to sell stuff through a school store. (Caption by Jake Wilson)

Story and captions by Jake Wilson, Reporter

“Over half the kids stay each night,” says Dr. Jackson, principal of Miriam Academy, as the students file into the room after school for another club. Tonight is Sci-Fi club, which means Henry Lohmann, a student at Miriam, will be in charge.

“It’s very fun to run club, but it’s also very hard,” Henry says.

Everyone is expected to propose and l

img_2907

Zander Alper attack Mr. Holmes with his light saber, while Emma Hente goes after Bobby Zaitz. Surprise Club was Emma’s creation: a club where students don’t know what they’ll be doing that day until the club begins. (Caption by Jake Wilson)

ead a club at Miriam. Clubs were made so kids could learn leadership and so kids could follow their passion.

Sam Cordes’ passion, for instance, is coding.

“Once you know code, all of that gibberish starts to make sense,” he says. Sam co-runs the Gaming a

img_3678

Dom Civella and Bobby Zaitz watch Zander Alper lead them through an online game creator during Gaming and Coding Club. Kids come here to do computer stuff, like learning how to make games or programming robots. (Caption by Jake Wilson)

nd Coding Club. Zander, the other club co-sponsor, and they both love gaming.

“We want kids to follow their passion,” says Dr. Jackson.