Student Profile: Austin Sams, firefighter in training

Back to Article
Back to Article

Austin Sams poses in bunker gear on October 12 at the Black Jack Fire Department while standing in the engine bay in front of a ladder truck. Austin has been with the Black Jack Fire Department for a year and has been on vigorous calls over the year. (Caption by Austin Sams)

Story and captions by Henry Lohmann, Reporter

Austin Sams is a student in the inaugural class at Miriam Academy. Austin is 14 years old and he likes to play kickball, football and baseball. He is very athletic. What sets Austin apart from the other students at Miriam Academy is that he is a firefighter. Austin is in the Fire Explorer Program. The Explorer Program started in 1993 from the Boy Scouts of America. This program gives people a chance to do something with the community.

“It gives me a chance to help in the community,” he said.

But this isn’t just a hobby for Austin, who says that he’s wanted to do this his “whole life.”

Not just be a firefighter, but be the highest ranked firefighter.

”It shows you have you have achieved the highest rank you could,” he said.

But that could take several decades. In the meantime, Austin serves in a support role, doing many of the tasks that paid firefighters do.

img_2410

Austin Sam puts on bunker gear, including his five-pound helmet, to show students how it works. Fireman helmets are used to protect them from falling objects, cinders and heat. (Caption by Henry Lohmann)

Chris Holmes

fire-house-3

Austin Sams practices tying knots at the Black Jack Fire Department during a Fire Explorer meeting to practice the importance of tying knots that will someday help save someone’s life. The knots, such as the figure eight and bowline knots, are used for hoisting, lowering, and pulling trapped victims out of curtain spaces. (Caption by Austin Sams)

Chris Holmes

fire-house

Austin Sams assembles flashlights during Fire Explorer meeting at the Black Jack Fire Department to hand them out at Customer Appreciation Day on Saturday, October 22. He put batteries in the flashlights, turned them on to test them, and saw if they worked so that they would be ready. (Caption by Austin Sams)

fire-house-4

Austin Sams shows people the firefighters’ practice area at Black Jack Fire Department. Austin has been involved with the program for over one year, and he wants to be the highest ranked firefighter. (Caption by Henry Lohmann)

img_2405

Austin Sams speaks to class about being a Fire Explorer in room 14 at the beginning of the semester to show the gear that firefighters wear to protect them. He wears the gear to show the exact way to put it on and why it’s important. (Caption by Austin Sams)

Chris Holmes
Chris Holmes
Chris Holmes