‘That’s close enough!’ Students learn about personal space

Back to Article
Back to Article

Dom Civella holds his hand out showing his amount of personal space. On the first day of school, students took turns discussing and role-playing personal boundaries. (Caption by Maria Inman)

On August 15th, the first day of school at Miriam Academy, the staff and students did an activity that had to do with personal space. The teachers did this so each student would feel comfortable in the environment. They did this by having two students standing on opposite sides of each other. Then the teacher would say “walk forward” and one student would walk forward and the other student standing still would put their hand out to say “stop, you’re in my personal space.”

One of the leaders of this activity had a few words.

“I was guidance counselor for many years and non-violent crisis prevention intervention trainer for 10 years, and that was one of the activities we did to teach to the people we were training,” said Kate Brothers, the counselor of Miriam Academy.

Although Mrs. Brothers wasn’t the only person to say something about this. There was another teacher who helped demonstrate the activity for the students, Though the students did the activity well, there’s still stuff to work on.

“We could practice it more and maybe go back to it and revisit it once a week,” says special education teacher Kathy Puettmann.

But of course we all have different opinions, so I asked one of the students what they thought of the activity.

“It went pretty good,” said Molly Carol. “But some of the student didn’t really understand it.”

On August 15, student Maria Inman walks toward classmate Molly Caro until Molly puts her hand up to indicate the boundary for her personal space. Mrs. Brothers, the school counselor, led the activity, which showed students that everyone has their own comfort levels with space. (Caption by Maria Inman)