Nine students tour Wildlife Rescue Center

Story and captions by Zander Alper, Co-Editor in Chief

On Saturday September 24, 2016, nine students and teachers went to the Wildlife Rescue Center at 1128 New Ballwin Road in Ballwin MO. We were introduced and led in a tour of the facility by Casey Philips, the Animal Care and Certified Interpretive Guide. The high schoolers that were there saw how they took care of the animals and what they do to do just that. They saw squirrels, turtles, opossums, skunks, and a fox. The students and teachers found out that the fox is really skittish around people.

The Impact it Left on Students

Many people said that it impacted them in different ways.

“I felt like they took care of them very well,” said Molly Caro. “I want to volunteer so I can help animals.”

Maria Inman said that the squirrels made the biggest impact on her because they were very cute and can have help when needed. Other people said that this place was a pretty good place to send injured, sick, or orphaned animals.

“I knew this was the best place to send injured animals because they look pretty good after they were taken care of,” Maria said after she visited.

The Wildlife Rescue Center left Jake Wilson a newfound love of nature and he now thinks that nature can be fun.

Newfound loves of Nature’s Offers

Other people have said that it left them a newfound love of nature.

“My favorite part of the tour was seeing the fox,” said Jake. “I thought it was awesome and I love nature now. I learned that nature could be fun and exciting.”

After the Wildlife Rescue Center, Mr. Holmes and Zander Alper took a hike and took pictures of what we saw along the path. Bobby Zaitz and his parents and his dog went on a hike as well but they never ran into us. Some of the pictures Zander took are outside Mr. Holmes’ room in between the doors that lead into the room. You can see them at any time, or on the website.

“My two favorite parts of the hike were, spending time with Zander and the photography that went along with it,” said Mr. Holmes after taking the hike on the Lone Wolf Trail.

About the Wildlife Rescue Center

The Wildlife Rescue Center has been in St. Louis since 1979, this facility has treated more than 30,000 animals.Their property is about 15 acres of land. There’s also a 9,000 square-foot facility to treat wildlife. Over 2,000 patients there are treated every year.

The site hosts a variety of habitats including woodland, open grassland, a year-round creek, and a two acre lake. They take injured, orphaned, and sick animals into their facility to take care of them. Our neighbors include a little of everything, from belted kingfishers and little green herons to groundhogs and striped skunks.

As you see many privileged wildlife are taken there for treatment. Many varieties of wildlife are seen on their property river otters, minks, and beavers. In 2002, the Wildlife Rescue Center expanded its educational programming, which now reaches thousands of people today. The WRC counts on the volunteers who puts together the majority of our employees. The site many habitats including forests, parries, a year-round creek, and a 2-acre lake. The Wildlife Rescue Center relies on the volunteers who make up the majority of our workforce.

img_4705Chris Holmes
img_4732Chris Holmes
img_0716Chris Holmes