Orientation activities help build friendships, ease anxieties

Back to Article
Back to Article

Austin Sams and Emma Hente beat each other with foam at SkyZone on the second day of orientation. These three days were an opportunity for the kids to make new friends before school began. (Caption by Kendall Chamberlin)

Story and captions by Molly Caro, Photographer

Two weeks before the first day of school, several Miriam Academy students gathered at various places throughout St. Louis to have fun and make friends. Their first stop was Crestwood Bowl on August 8. Most of the teachers were there and most of the students were there. Everyone had fun when we were bowling and later that day we all had pizza.

The next day on August 2 went to Sky Zone. Just like the bowling event most of the students and teachers were there. We played basketball, dodge ball, jumped around, and went in the challenge zone. Then later we had pizza and soda. After that students played around a little bit longer, and then we all got picked up and went home.

Then on Wednesday we went to Sports Fusion, where we played laser tag, mini golf, rock climbing, and a enjoyed bounce house for only little kids. We ate pizza, nachos, and pretzels.

Austin Sams is rock climbing at Sports Fusion on August 10 because he said it’s fun and he likes heights. Students gathered there to get to know each other and the teachers better. (Caption by Kendall Chamberlin)

“The activities were fun but Sky Zone was my favorite,” said Emma Hente. “I didn’t have a favorite part at Sky Zone because I liked everything.”

Emma Hente taps in a putt at Sports Fusion on August 10. Students had the option of participating in three days of freshman orientation before school started. (Caption by Kendall Chamberlin)

Henry Lohmann takes a break between dodge ball matches against teachers at SkyZone on August 2. The first time the students beat the teachers; the second time the teachers beat the students. (Caption by Kendall Chamberlin)

Student Dominic Civella, puts a little horizontal body English on the ball, which heads right down the middle of the lane at Crestwood Bowl on August 1. Dom and several soon-to-be classmates spent three days doing all kinds of fun activities in hopes of getting to know each other before school started. (Caption by Daniel Meir)

Chris Holmes