Is this heaven?

No, it's Miriam Academy!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Is this heaven?

On the first day of school in Mr. Holmes' room, Mrs. McKenney helps Emma Hente and Molly Caro get their binders put together for the school year that has begun. The binders were also for organization which is a huge factor for the kids.  

Chris Holmes

Chris Holmes

Chris Holmes

“If you build it they will come.“

This is true for Ray Kinsella as they do come when he builds the field it’s the same for Dr. Jackson when she told the Miriam Board Executive Director the same thing “ If you build it they will come.” The students came as promised and so did the teachers. Miriam Academy is like the field of dreams by comparing it to heaven, Heaven is Miriam Academy. The 2016 -2017 year kicks off Miriam Academy for its first as a High school.

This school started by “30 board members having an idea of a high school and going through with it and that’s how Miriam Academy started.”

Dr. Jackson said.  Dr. Jackson said “ There was a need for a high school to serve kids with learning challenges “. That is why she applied and later got the job. I asked DR. Jackson what is a perfect school and she said “ A perfect school is where students feel comfortable to learn they feel respected, and they feel like the can achieve their maximum potential.

Mr. Holmes whom I asked questions too. I asked Mr Holmes why did you decide to come to Miriam Academy “ Two reasons because for my son who didn’t have this and to push myself as a teacher. How is Miriam close to the perfect school “It combines social, emotional, academics in a safe and loving environment. What is heaven like at an educational standpoint  When students feel safe, challenged and loved.

Jack is a student at Miriam and i asked him questions. Is Miriam a good fit for you “Yes because we don’t get much homework ‘I don’t like having homework’ and it helps you pay better attention”. Heaven? Is Miriam similar.  Yes Miriam Academy is like heaven for a school, I like it a lot more than my other schools and again not a lot of homework. What is Miriam academy “Miriam academy is the closest to a perfect school because all of the students and teachers are nice and we don’t get much homework and so it’s easier to pay attention also bean bags and Magic turtle.”

Mrs. Brothers and Mrs. Puettmann stand across from the lockers as students practice unlocking their combination locks. Both teachers said that teaching at Miriam Academy is a dream come true. (Caption by Nick Lewis)

Counselor Kate Brothers helps student Dom Civella put tabs in his binder on the first day of school on August 15. Nearly everyone, including teachers, had a hard time putting the file tabs in the file slots. (Caption by Molly Caro)