Spring training begins for Miriam Academy

Back to Article
Back to Article

Jacob Wilson holds an autographed game ball after kicking the first grand-slam home run of his life.

Story and captions by Nick Lewis, Co-Editor in Chief

On the first day of Miriam Academy there were 12 kids with all different disabilities and abilities. Jack had just moved to St. Louis to attend the school, but he barely spoke or smiled. Henry had been home-schooled for the past year, and was anxious about whether he’d make friends. And Nick was worried that he could never get away from the bullying.

Eventually everyone started to become friends. Zander Alper said he had never been in an environment where people accepted him, and a lot of that started with a common connection through kickball. In a little patch of grass (now dirt) just north of the school building, kickball became the activity of choice during motor breaks.

Miriam Academy now has 16 kids, and nearly all of them eventually joined the kickball games. But beyond their little pick-up games, there was no other school to play against, so they decided to make a baseball team.

Norman Rich, the Health and P.E. teacher, turned out to be the baseball commissioner of the Ballwin Athletic Association. So we asked him and we got a spot to play baseball with the Ballwin league. Mr. Holmes, the Humanities teacher, played baseball for the past four decades, and students thought he would be the perfect match for a coach, He played high school, college and amateur baseball.  This all led up to the first part of spring training for Miriam Academy. On the first day of spring training Miriam Academy we went to, Balls & Strikes in Ballwin.

For some, the instruction was a refresher course in basic swinging and throwing fundamentals. For others, it was a crash course in something they had never done before… or even never considered doing before. Another practice was held on March 1, and several outdoor practices are being planned for the future.