Bullying remains a serious problem at many high schools

Back to Article
Back to Article

The prevalence of bullying in schools varies depending on who you talk to. Frequency ranges from 20% to as high as 77%.

Story and captions by Henry Lohmann, Reporter

Victims of bullying aren’t just kids who lack popularity. They can be star athletes, club presidents and even class valedictorians, such as Sarah Lohmann, a senior at Maplewood-Richmond Heights High School.

“I was bullied face to face, verbally, and on the internet,” she said.

The fact of the matter is that nearly every student experiences bullying at some point during their school years. According to Pacer.org, an organization that advocates for kids with learning disabilities, the percent of kids being bullied is more than 20%, although some experts place that percentage as high as 77%.

Olzhas Barron-Grayson had a similar experience to Sarah Lohmann. He wasn’t really bullied, but he saw his friends get bullied at Kirkwood High School.

“The hard thing at Kirkwood was there was a ranking system,” he said. “At the top were the people who were rich, but the people who were poor were bullied a lot.” 

Bullying in middle and high school is bad here are reasons why. People are sometimes bullied to the point of suicide. Some people have gotten depression from bullying. Also people have been bullied to the point of violence. Bullying keeps happening in schools and the percent of kids being bullied is going up.

Here at Miriam Academy we don’t have bullying except for the occasional argument. Many schools have a lot more bullying than Miriam Academy. How do we stop bullying, you ask?  Here are ways to help us stop bullying.

“We need to make all kids feel good about themselves because I think that kids who don’t feel good about themselves bully,” suggests Sarah Lohmann.

Olzhas doesn’t believe it’s possible to stop bullying.

“I don’t think it is possible to stop bullying, because as hard as you try there will always be people who are ignorant and don’t know what they are saying,” he said. But he added that things could be done to make it less common.