Robotics to start in March

In+March%2C+students+at+Miriam+Academy+will+add+Robotics+to+their+list+of+extracurricular+activities.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Robotics to start in March

In March, students at Miriam Academy will add Robotics to their list of extracurricular activities.

Story and captions by Emma Hente, Managing Editor

Two dozen students and staff packed inside the Humanities classroom to hear a presentation about the robotics program which will start at Miriam Academy next month. Jeff Pitts, a retired engineer and now one of the leader of the Clavius Project, gave the presentation.

The Clavius Project provides mentors, such as Mr. Pitts, to inspire students in STEM-related areas. Half the  class was on the edge of their seats, as Mr. Pitts talked about what they would be doing. So many  Miriam Academy students, such as Jake Wilson and Zander Alper, love hands on stuff because its what they do best.  

“I like everything about this,” Zander said. “I love working with Lego Mindstorms, easy programming for beginners. Later on, you can get more complicated stuff. It feels good to compete, but even if you don’t win it feels like you still won.”

Jake is also excited.

“You make whatever you want,” he said. “I just made a Lego gearbox with multiple speeds.” Earlier this year, Jake build a trebuchet for his independent study project.

Miriam Academy teachers Brandi McKenney and Chris Holmes will be helping, but neither have done this before.

“I am so excited, but I have no experience with robotics,” said Mr. Holmes.     

One Miriam Academy student, Jack Hereford, said, “I think it was really cool, and I’m excited to learn how to do it.”