Echo

• March 3Spring Break! March 20-24

• March 3Town & Country Chamber of Commerce luncheon, March 15

• March 3Parent Coffee this Thursday, March 9 (Youth Room)

Importance of family in a child’s life

Back to Article
Back to Article

Importance of family in a child’s life

Laura Civella, the mother of Miriam Academy student Dominic Civella, feeds a baby at the Fall Family Cookout.

Story and captions by Dom Civella, Reporter

Dom Civella comes to school happy. He greets his teachers with a smile and a handshake. He laughs with friends. He tries hard in his classes. All of that could have something to do with the school, Miriam Academy, but it has a lot more to do with his parents.

The importance of parents in a child’s development is the single most important aspect of that child’s success and happiness.

Dom’s mom, dad and brother are loving and caring. Dom’s mom cleans around the house; she cooks for him and cleans Dom’s clothes. Dom’s dad makes money, helps him with homework, and plays with him. Both of his parents drive him to one of his baseball games or drive him to school.  Dom’s brother plays checkers with him in the family room. All of them give him hugs when he gets A’s on his tests. Finally, his family takes care of him when he is sick or hurt.  

“I think family is very important to a child, because it gives the child love and security that he needs in this big (and sometimes crazy) world,” said Carl Civella, Dom’s father. “As you know, there are happy times and difficult times in life.  The happy times are happier when you can share them with your family – the people that love you most.  During difficult times, your family is there to support you and help you get through a difficult situation.”

Mr. Civella said that he loves being a father.

“As a parent, I enjoy the good feelings that I get when my children smile after they accomplished something,” he said.

Dom’s mother said, “What I enjoy most about being a parent is that it is me, as your mom, you can look to for help, for love, and for understanding.”

Parents also provide basic living support, such as food and clothing.

“I really like pasta con broccoli because it is the best food I have ever tasted,” Dom said. In addition to providing him with a balanced diet of tasty food, his parents also bought him Michael Jordan basketball shoes for his birthday. But the most important thing they give him is love.

“I can’t think of anything more important to the development of a child than a loving, supportive family,” said Mr. Holmes.

Research backs him up, showing that parents play a critical role in students’ academic success, according to the National Literacy Trust. And the National Center for Biotechnology Information says “Parenting is probably the most important public health issue facing our society. It is the single largest variable implicated in childhood illnesses and accidents.” The NCBI advances science and health by providing access to biomedical and genomic information.