Blues slam Hitchcock, hire Yeo

Back to Article
Back to Article

Blues slam Hitchcock, hire Yeo

St. Louis Blues head coach Mike Yeo coaches his first game for the Blues during a game between the St. Louis Blues and the Toronto Maple Leafs on Thursday, Feb. 2, 2017, at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis. Photo by Chris Lee, clee@post-dispatch.com

Story and captions by Bobby Zaitz, Sports Editor

The Blues got a new coach named Mike Yeo and hopefully he will do a better job than Ken Hitchcock. He is Canadian and a former head coach of the Minnesota Wild from 2011 to 2016.

He is 42 years old and was the associate coach for the Blues.  He was scheduled to be the head coach next season but was hired this year because the players were not playing well. The Blues had 29 wins and 22 losses under Hitchcock, and five of the losses were in overtime. 

Hitchcock had his best chance last year with 49 wins and 24 losses.  They almost made it to the Stanley Cup, but they got kicked out of the semifinals. We were hoping for a trophy this year. 

“I think a new coach is a good thing,” said student Nick Lewis. “They need a new face.”

Yeo and the players must be doing something right.  The Blues won the first 4 of 5 games since he was named coach. But not everyone believes firing the coach is the best way to turn a team around.

“It’s funny how teams fire coaches when it’s the players who are most responsible for wining and losing,” said Mr. Holmes, the Humanities teacher. “Maybe what they should do is fire players instead. After all, how can a coach go from amazing one year to horrible the next?”