Students accept photo essay challenge

Back to Article
Back to Article

Students accept photo essay challenge

Zander Alper takes a break from photographing nature to snap a quick shot of his Humanities teacher, Mr. Holmes.

Story and captions by Molly Caro, Photographer

Inspired by Zander Alper’s trek along Lone Wolf Trail in Castelwood State Park last weekend, students are accepting the challenge to see who can tell the best story with photographs. After touring the Wildlife Rescue Center with eight of his classmates, Zander accompanied Mr. Holmes along a trail that led them high above the Meramec River. And that’s when Zander started shooting… photographs, that is. When Mr. Holmes returned to his classroom later that day, he cropped and printed a handful of his student’s best work and realized this could be something everyone could want to do.

“It was obvious that Zander was enjoying himself,” Mr. Holmes said. “His face just lights up when a camera is in his hands. So that got me thinking, if Zander likes photography this much, maybe others would too…”

zander-at-castlewood

Seven of Zander’s photographs that he took on the nature hike at Castelwood State Park, will be featured in his photo essay, titled: “Loveliest Smile.” The title is in reference to a William Cullen Bryant quote: “Autumn… the year’s last, loveliest smile.” The hike occurred on the 3rd day of autumn, 2016.

img_4772Zander Alper
img_4799Zander Alper
img_4788Zander Alper
img_4843Zander Alper
img_4856Zander Alper
img_4807Zander Alper