Teaching social, emotional skills

Social circle topics help students cope, interact

Back to Article
Back to Article

Teaching social, emotional skills

With the help of counselor Kate Brothers, Sam Cordes and Daniel Meir practice asking each other questions and listening to answers. Partners had to ask three questions, such as

With the help of counselor Kate Brothers, Sam Cordes and Daniel Meir practice asking each other questions and listening to answers. Partners had to ask three questions, such as "What job do you want in the future?", which were printed on Jenga blocks. (Caption by Jack Hereford)

Story and captions by Jack Hereford, Design Editor

img_4999psd

All of the students and teachers at Miriam Academy sit at Social Circle in Room 14 during late September, so students can have a voice. They hold these social and emotional learning sessions every Tuesday and Thursday at 2 p.m. (Caption by Jack Hereford)

Every Tuesday and Thursday, the students and teachers at Miriam Academy talk about social and emotional skills and topics on the wonder wall so the students can have a voice. Our social circle is in room 14 of Miriam Academy. Social and emotional learning helps students learn to support a positive sense of self.

According to Roger Weissberg, an expert on this topic in Chicago, Illinois, “People get poor social and emotional skills if they live in environments that model and support poor skill development.”

However, when students are given the right modeling and support, students can grow emotionally and socially.

“It’s good for people who have trouble opening up to people,” says Henry Lohmann

Many behaviors like drug use, bullying, and absenteeism often cause poor social and emotional skills.

Kathy Puettmann says,“I think we have social circle to discuss topics that are important to the Miriam Academy family.”

According Roger Weissberg,”It is very important to teach students social and emotional skills. Research shows that learning social and emotional skills can improve academic performance, behavior, citizenship, health, and success in the workplace.”

As students go into kindergarten, they still need to learn to control their behavior and educational support is needed for critical skill.