Hanging out with wolves

Back to Article
Back to Article

Hanging out with wolves

Jack Hereford is excited to be at the in the Endangered Wolf Center gift shop at on an early October night. This field trip, which included a campfire and wolf howl, was orchestrated by the faculty of Miriam Academy for a fun social occasion. (Caption by Zander Alper)

Story and captions by Zander Alper, Co-Editor in Chief

img_6602bpsd

Eight Miriam Academy Students attended the Wolf Howl on October 15 at 7:30 p.m. Nine parents accompanied their high schoolers to this event. “I loved hearing the wolves howl,” said student Daniel Meir. “You see all these movies where wolves howl and you think it’s fake, but now I see that’s what actually happens in the wild.”

Students also learned a few things, like student Nick Lewis learned that the Wolf Center has three types of wolves. “It was cool being in the woods when the wolves were howling,” teacher Mr. Holmes said.

The Endangered Wolf Center was founded in 1971 by Marlin and Carol Perkins to save the endangered species of wolves. Their goal was to see wolves make a comeback and recuperation from near extinction. They allow five endangered species of wolves such as: red wolves, mexican wolves, maned wolves, african painted dogs, swift foxes, and fennec foxes. The conservation is located off of Tyson Valley Rd and is 63 acres of isolated reservation for the wolves.

The Wolf Howl at the Endangered Wolf Center is a popular evening program that is fun and educational for people of all ages. After the campfire the host walks the visitors to howl to the wolves. They say that the wolves are not guaranteed to howl back. Five endangered species will answer back if they are not intimidated by a large number of guests at the reservation.