Students visit high-tech campus

Back to Article
Back to Article

Students visit high-tech campus

Students listen as the tour guide explains what the Venture Cafe is during Miriam Academy's field trip to the Cortex campus located in mid-town St. Louis. A weekly Venture Café Gathering serves as a meeting place for helping innovators and entrepreneurs collaborate to bring their dreams to reality. (Caption by Jake Wilson)

Story and captions by Jake Wilson, Reporter

img_8207psd

Emma Hente, Henry Lohmann and Bobby Zaitz listen as Phyllis R. Ellison, director of entrepreneur services and the tour guide, explains how Cortex is arranged. The students were there to learn about the business incubator and things like 3D printers and business start-ups. (Caption by Jake Wilson)

img_8264psd

Students look through the windows of the Cortex TechShop while learning about what it contains, like welding and lathe equipment. TechShop is a community-based workshop and prototyping studio on a mission to democratize access to the tools of innovation. (Caption by Jake Wilson)

img_8231psd

Miriam Academy students, teachers and even a few parents gather in front of the Cortex building before walking the campus to see the buildings. It is a 200-acre innovation hub that recently announced a new $170 million development to add hotel, apartments, and a parking garage. (Caption by Jake Wilson)

Miriam Academy students go to Cortex on November 9th to learn about information technology.  Cortex is “a vibrant 200-acre innovation hub and technology district integrated into St. Louis’ historic Central West End and Forest Park Southeast residential neighborhoods, surrounded by nationally ranked universities and medical centers and abundant cultural and recreational assets,” according to the Cortex website.

Cortex includes CET St. Louis, Biogenerator, CIC St. Louis, Venture Cafe, and TechShop.

CET stands for Center for Emerging Technologies, and that is exactly what it does. Biogenerator will invest in your business and provide office space. CIC provides office space and allows you to run your business, instead of having to worry about rent or amenities. The TechShop offers use of tools and machines with included classes on each one.