The impacts of procrastinating

For some, it can be serious

Patrick Herrera

Story and captions by Daniel Meir, Reporter

Sometimes, when an important task looms over us, instead of facing it, we’ll choose to avoid it. This is called procrastinating.

“Procrastination affects people so that they can’t get their work done, and they push it off,”  remarked student Nick Lewis. “It’s something that a lot of kids have.”

A lot is an understatement.  More than 20 percent of people in the world are chronic procrastinators, which means that procrastinating is a continuous problem for them. Nick Lewis is one of these people.

“I have procrastinated a lot,” said he. “I had a project in fourth grade in the science fair; I waited till the last minute, and it was horrible.”

But if it’s so horrible, why do people procrastinate?

“I procrastinate when I’m stressed, so lately I haven’t procrastinated much,” said Mr.  Chris Holmes. “But there were different times in my life when I was stressed, so I procrastinated.”

So for some, procrastination can branch off from emotions. And for others, procrastination is a habit.

“20  percent of women and men live a lifestyle of always procrastinating, avoiding life,” said Dr. Joseph Ferrari, an expert on the subject.

Habits are ordinarily hard to break, but  imagine a habit that affects you, your work, and your lifestyle. How do people justify this, though? If they know that it’s going to affect them badly, why do people still procrastinate?

“I procrastinate because I think I can get it done later ,” said Nick .

Some people think they can do a task later, or that they have enough time; but in reality, they can end up waiting till the very last minute.

“I’ll pretend a task doesn’t exist,” says Mr. Holmes. “ And I’ll get obsessed with one project and ignore everything else in my life, whether it’s at work or at home.”

As a teacher, it can be very dangerous to procrastinate. You have work to assign, homework and papers to grade, and topics to teach. If you put it off, the whole class pays the price.

“If the procrastination is bad, you can be ineffective as a teacher,” said Mr. Holmes. “And you have a responsibility to be professional; and if you procrastinate it’s not professional.”

Therefore; it’s crucial that people break their habit. But preventing procrastination is so difficult, that it’s hard to know how to go about it.

“You need to do it NOW,” says Dr. Ferrari. “Because what you do impacts the lives of others and they are waiting. It’s not about ME about WE.”

So to change your habit, you need to change your mindset. Don’t think about yourself only; think about how procrastinating affects everyone: you, your friends, your family, your work, and your whole life.

5 Common Things People Procrastinate Over

1. Working out.
  2. Sorting out finances, such as taxes.
  3. Investing or saving for the future.
  4. Cleaning
  5. Making home repairs.