Miriam Academy opens its doors to St. Louis-area students

Back to Article
Back to Article

On August 15, 2016, Miriam Academy students release balloons into the air in front of the building to celebrate the official opening of the new school. Miriam students let the balloons into the air and watched as they soared into the sky behind the building. (Caption by Austin Sams)

Sample Student

Sample Student

Sample Student

Ceremonies are a time to learn about a place, a time to meet people, laugh and chat. For a new school it’s a time to show the great things that it can do and what those people can do. Miriam Academy at 2845 N. Ballas Rd. is a new non-denominational high school. On Tuesday, September 13, 2016, Miriam Academy had its ribbon cutting ceremony to celebrate.  Guests included board members, donors, and supporters.

“I was very excited to meet the donors and supporters that made Miriam Academy a reality,” said teacher Kathy Puettmann.

Guests gathered in the gym where they enjoyed wine and appetizers.  Speeches were given by the Executive Director, the Board President and the School Principal, Dr. Jackson.

After the ribbon cutting, guests were shown around Miriam Academy.  For the kids of this new school our journey as young men and women is just beginning. We are learning more, growing in subjects that were a struggle before. We are the first of this generation to experience this school and we can grow to know more, to make new friends, to become independent, and to show our strengths.

“My time at Miriam academy has been wonderful,” one student said.

img_3791

Dr. Sue Jackson, the principal, gives a speech in the Miriam Academy gym to celebrate the grand opening on September 13. We celebrated by inviting the public, the parents, and the donors to our school to walk around and enjoy see the new facility. (Caption by Austin Sams)

img_3836

Mrs. Brandi McKenney shows three generous supporters the newest technology in Room 13 at the opening ceremony. She demonstrated how the SMART TV’s use educational games to engage students. (Caption by Austin Sams)

img_3841

During the official ribbon-cutting ceremony for Miram Academy, student Molly Caro and her mother, Laurie Caro, president of the board of directors, pose for a picture for the West County Journal. Many photographers were on hand taking pictures of adults and students during the reception. (Caption by Austin Sams)

Chris Holmes
Laurie Burstein
Laurie Burstein