Lockers, binders and reminders await freshmen

Back to Article
Back to Article

Students try to open their lockers at Miriam Academy on the first day of school. Two months later, another bank of lockers was added to accommodate more students. (Caption by Molly Caro)

Chris Holmes

Chris Holmes

Chris Holmes

At Miriam Academy on the first day of school there were students and seven teachers. The first day of school was August 15th. Miriam Academy is for high schoolers with learning disabilities. The first day was the first day of school year and the first day of Miriam Academy.

“It was okay,” said student Emma Hente. “I’m just going to go with the flow.”

For classmate Maria Inman, the best part of the day was meeting all the new people.

“I expected for everyone to be bored and asleep on the first day of school because it was the first day of school, but they weren’t,” said student Maria Inman. “But I was happy to leave the first day of school because I was able to go home.”

Principal Sue Jackson was thrilled with how the day went.

“I was excited for the first day of school because I got to see all the students come together,” said Dr. Jackson, the principal. “Everyone talked to one another and listened to the teachers. And I have ideas about later in the school year such as having outside of school activities.”

STEM teacher Brandi McKenney helps student Dom Civella learn how to open his combination lock in Mr. Holmes’ room on the first day of school. It took several students a while to learn the process, especially students who never had lockers before. (Caption by Molly Caro)

Sam is putting papers in his binder in the Humanities classroom so he can be organized. In the picture Sam is putting file papers in his binder. (Caption by Molly Caro)

Counselor Kate Brothers helps student Dom Civella put tabs in his binder on the first day of school on August 15. Nearly everyone, including teachers, had a hard time putting the file tabs in the file slots. (Caption by Molly Caro)

Molly Caro and Emma Hente try to organize their binders in Mr. Holmes’ room on the first day of school on August 15. Hoping to start the school organized, Molly and Emma asked teachers for help. (Caption by Molly Caro)